Friday, December 10, 2010

Fat America.

It's no shock to me that America is the one of the fattest countries, I work at a fast food restaurant Sonic America's Drive In and I watch people come and eat there every single day. Sometimes twice a day. For heavens sake these people are there more than me and I'm an employee! So when I hear topics on child obesity and what school's are doing to help this growing problem I'm excited that someone has taken initiative but I believe that the solution to this problem starts at home.

We can't keep blaming the government for our eating habits, it's ridiculous. Yes, I do believe that healthy options should be available at schools, but I think some of the minor changes such as removing soda machines, won't put a stop to this. It's time for us to look in the mirror and take some responsibility!

How can we expect our children to be healthy if we ourselves are not? My mother didn't ever buy soda... not because we weren't allowed to drink it or anything, she just never really bought it. When my friends came over they were just baffled that I only had juice and water to offer them, but their houses were stocked with Cokes and Dr. Pepper. To this day I really only drink water, apple and orange juice, and tea. Now this could just be that I'm some sort of freak who doesn't like soda but I honestly believe its because it wasn't available in my house.

No comments:

Post a Comment